Friday, April 16, 2010

Life versus Even More Life

The first chapter of Phillipians was another section that I felt led to read. I was questioning, what is it to be a follower of Christ. I am learning to avoid the term "Christian" because this has become so watered down and weak that it seems to be meaningless. But to be a follower of Christ takes a commitment and some decisions. As I was wondering what it is to follow, the words of Paul began repeating in my head over and over, "to live is Christ". And I started thinking about what that actually meant.

Christ was a doer, not a sit back and watcher. He found followers, healed the sick, preached the Word all in the course of his short 3 year ministry. He lived. So often it seems to me that those who follow Christ find themselves sitting in a rocking chair waiting for glory that we forget to live the life gifted to us. A box of food on a shelf can't offer nutrition if it's never opened. An unread book simply remains a dust collector. The unlived life wastes the marvelous opportunities granted by our Creator to impact the world around us.

If I am going to find myself on the journey back to the center of God's heart, I need to live. I need to take chances for Christ, share the love of Father with those around me...not only in words but also in actions. Even today, we are facing cutbacks in our school system. The love Christ would show is that of empathy, concern, and genuine compassion. How can I show that? How have I shown it?

As a true follower, we have nothing to lose. I can do what I'm placed in this time to do, what I have been chosen to do. I can run the race set before me. And then? Well, I get to enjoy life directly with my Jesus. Is this the motivation? I've been reading where Christianity is simply a form of selfishness...doing what we do because it's about what we can gain. What do I gain? A lifetime with the One that thought I was worth dying for...He who chased me all over time and space so that He could polish away the edges. If this is selfishness, give it to me over and over. Why wouldn't I want to be with the One who loves me more than anyone else possibly can? It's not about "fireproofing" myself, but instead drawing close to the one that wants me. The One that loves me.

Father, help me to seek to live the life you have given me. I should approach each day, even each hour as a precious gift, one that expires as it is used. There are so many things that challenge me for my time, but what would you have me do? Help me see the traps for what they are...traps and distractions. Give me the hunger to seek life! And help me to not accept cheap thrills as a substitution, because this is simple a fake life, one that is quick to run when the thrill loses its edge. I want the real deal...the full life that You'd place me here to live. May it be a life filled with love for You, myself, and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment